The Asia SiVon Cottom
Scholarship awards are made to deserving students who have excelled academically and are pursuing undergraduate, graduate and post graduate degrees in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
The Scholarship Award
The intent of this award is to enable students to attend college without accumulating burdensome debt.
In most cases, the Asia SiVon Cottom Scholarship award ranges from $500 to $2,000 yearly. The award amount and the number of scholarships are determined annually by the ASC Scholarship Committee and is based solely on the availability of funds and the number of qualified students.
All scholarship awards are applied directly to the student’s tuition account for the fall semester of their school year.
The award is renewable for up to four undergraduate years provided a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is maintained. Awards are NOT automatically renewed. You must re-apply each year.
Award amounts may change from year to year.
Awards are used for undergraduate or graduate studies.
High school seniors entering college and returning college students attending accredited U.S. colleges or universities are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Prospective New Applicants must be:
United States Citizen
High school seniors entering an accredited U.S. colleges or universities;
Returning college students attending an accredited U.S. colleges or universities; or
Graduate students attending an accredited U.S. colleges or universities.
Transcript illustrating completion of current academic year
Proof of enrollment for upcoming academic year
Updated bio including current head shot
*Grades due no later than May 31st
All Applications to include returning ASC Scholar Applicants are due on the first Monday in May, each calendar year (i.e. May 7, 2018)
Criteria For New Applicants
Must write a 300-word essay (at least)
- On a separate sheet, write at least a 300-word essay on the effects and aftermath of September 11th on today’s society.
- What you plan to achieve through college that can possibly impact the community and/or the world.
- Why you should receive a Memorial Scholarship.
- Be sure to write your name and Student ID number on each page.
Confirmation and documentation of fall enrollment for the next academic year.
An official transcript for all studies completed to date.
Applicants must be:
An entering or returning student at an accredited undergraduate institution.
Pursuing a degree with a concentration in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM).
Able to demonstrate:
- Evidence of Academic Background that is Strong and Relevant.
- Does the transcript show evidence of high academic achievement?
- Does this coursework prepare the candidate for the planned field of study?
- Is there other evidence of high-level performance (e.g. merit scholarships, academic prizes, research results, artistic creations, publications)?
- Evidence of Transferable Extra-curricular Activities.
- What extracurricular activities has the candidate undertaken that could be put to use to impact the community and/or the world?
- Interpersonal Skills and Ability to Engage with Others.
- Does the candidate have a track record of proactively and enthusiastically building productive relationships with people outside his or her peer group, particularly when engaging with them in his/her field of expertise.
- Does the candidate appreciate the needs, motives and concerns of others?
- Self-confidence and ability to Seize Opportunities.
- How has the candidate responded to opportunities and what was the result?
- Strength of Purpose.
- Has the applicant demonstrated courage of conviction, persistence, and determination in the pursuit of his or her goals?
- Do the candidate’s extra-curricular activities indicate commitment?
- Is there evidence of creativity and innovation in the candidate’s approach to answering questions or solving problems?
- Self -Awareness.
- Is there evidence of a strong desire to contribute to society?
- Is the candidate aware of his or her role in particular activities and impact on other people?
- Can the candidate explain what changed as a result of his or her involvement in something?
Steps To Apply
Review The Criteria To Apply For The Scholarship
Review Information About The Award
Review The Application Due Dates:
All Applications are due the First Monday in May of Each Year (i.e. May 7, 2018)
Download Application Here
Mail Completed Application To:
Asia SiVon Cottom Memorial Scholarship Committee
5057 Sargent Road, Northeast
Washington, DC 20017
All application inquiries are to be submitted electronically to