You Have Questions.
We Have Answers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Who is eligible to apply for the ASC Memorial Scholarship?
Applicants must be high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll, or students who are already enrolled, in a full-time or part-time (minimum six credits) undergraduate or graduate course of study at an accredited two or four-year college, university, vocational-technical school, or graduate school.
Q: I do not have a concentration in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics. Can I apply?
The Asia SiVon Cottom Memorial Scholarship Fund is dedicated to supporting students who are studying Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, or closely related field majors.
Q: I am attending school in a foreign country. Am I eligible to apply?
No. Applicants must attend an educational institution in the United States to be eligible to apply. Payments are made in US dollars only.
Q: Do I need to be a United States citizen to apply for a scholarship?
No, but you must maintain a valid US mailing address where correspondence from the Fund can be sent. Scholarship correspondence will not be sent to a foreign address.
Q: Do I need to know which college I will be attending before I complete the application?
Yes, you will need to make a final decision prior to completing the application. As the scholarship funds will be sent directly to the learning institution, we need to ensure that appropriate protocols are in place to guarantee that you receive your scholarship in a timely manner. The deadline to submit the scholarship application is the 1st Monday during the month of May. This will allow applicants ample time to choose which school they will be attending and to receive the financial aid letter from the school of their choice.
Q: Am I required to provide an official transcript with my application?
New Application (High School Seniors – prior to graduation)
New Applications for High School Scholars are due on the 1st Monday during the month of May, which typically is prior to the end of most High School grading periods. Therefore, the ASC Scholarship Committee will initially require a copy of the scholars latest Report Card (which should include their cumulative GPA), to ascertain the scholars preliminary eligibility for the scholarship. If the High School Scholar is selected to receive the scholarship award, the ASC Scholarship Committee will contact the scholar to request that their FINAL “official” Report Card or Transcript be submitted to verify and finalize their eligibility to receive the award.
New Application (High School Graduates)
New Applications who have completed less than one full quarter or semester of post-secondary education must include their official high school transcript of grades with their application. Because high school grading systems can vary, a clear explanation of the school’s grading scale must also be submitted with the application.
New Applications who are currently or previously enrolled in college or vocational-technical school must include all official college or vocational-technical transcripts from each school attended.
New Application (Graduate School Scholars)
Graduate School Scholars who are currently enrolled in an accredited college/university must include all official transcripts.
Renewal Application (Current Scholars)
Yes, official college transcripts must be sent with your renewal application.
Q: What is the application deadline?
All Applications are due the first Monday of May.
Q: How do I apply?
Download and complete the application form available on the ASC Memorial Scholarship Fund website. Your application must include:
- A 300-word (at least) essay on:
- The effects and aftermath of September 11th on today’s society.
- What you plan to achieve through college that can possibly impact the community and/or the world.
- Why you should receive a Memorial Scholarship.
- Confirmation and documentation of fall enrollment for the next academic year.
- An official transcript for all studies completed to date.
Mail application to:
Asia SiVon Cottom Memorial Scholarship Committee
5057 Sargent Road, Northeast
Washington, DC 20017
Q: What are my responsibilities as a recipient?
- You must enroll as a full-time student in the fall of the year in which the scholarships are awarded.
- You remain in school the entire term without interruption unless approved by scholarship sponsor.
- You must have a valid email address as all correspondence will be sent electronically.
- Recipients are required to notify the Asia SiVon Cottom Memorial Scholarship Fund of any changes in address, school enrollment, or other relevant information that affects the award.
- Those receiving scholarship awards should be willing to attend regional events associated with the Asia SiVon Cottom Memorial Scholarship Fund and interact with the media.
- Submission of your application grants ASC permission to publish and promote your story, and use your name and photograph in association with this scholarship fund. Please note that you may ask to keep your participation confidential by a written request (letter or email) that accompanies your application.
Q: How large are the scholarship awards and how many are there?
In most cases, the Asia SiVon Cottom Scholarship award ranges from $500 to $2,000 yearly. The award amount and the number of scholarships will be determined annually by the ASC Scholarship Committee and is based solely on the availability of funds and the number of qualified students.
Q: What criteria do you use to evaluate my application?
The following three (3) criteria are used to evaluate applicants:
CRITERIA: ACADEMIC MERIT
Evidence of Academic Background that is Strong and Relevant.
- Does the transcript show evidence of high academic achievement?
- Does this coursework prepare the candidate for the planned field of study?
- Is there other evidence of high-level performance (e.g. merit scholarships, academic prizes, research results, artistic creations, publications)?
CRITERIA: AMBASSADORIAL POTENTIAL
Evidence of Transferable Extra-curricular Activities.
- What extracurricular activities has the candidate undertaken that could be put to use to impact the community and/or the world?
Interpersonal Skills and Ability to Engage with Others.
- Does the candidate have a track record of proactively and enthusiastically building productive relationships with people outside his or her peer group, particularly when engaging with them in his/her field of expertise.
- Does the candidate appreciate the needs, motives and concerns of others?
Self-confidence and ability to Seize Opportunities.
- How has the candidate responded to opportunities and what was the result?
CRITERIA: LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL
Strength of Purpose.
- Has the applicant demonstrated courage of conviction, persistence, and determination in the pursuit of his or her goals?
- Do the candidate’s extra-curricular activities indicate commitment?
- Is there evidence of creativity and innovation in the candidate’s approach to answering questions or solving problems?
- Is there evidence of a strong desire to contribute to society?
- Is the candidate aware of his or her role in particular activities and impact on other people?
- Can the candidate explain what changed as a result of his or her involvement in something?
Q: When will I be notified whether I’ve received a scholarship?
Scholarship recipients will be notified on or before the 2nd Monday in June, as to whether they will receive a scholarship award for the upcoming Fall Semester.
Q: How and when will I receive notification?
All notifications regarding the scholarship will be sent to applicants by email.
Notifications to scholarship recipients will be sent out on or before the 2nd Monday in June.
Notifications to applicants who were NOT selected to receive an award for the upcoming academic year will receive an email notification on or before the 3rd Monday in July.
Q: If I receive a scholarship, where and when are the checks sent?
Scholarship awards will be sent directly to the educational institution and made payable only to the institution.
Scholarship awards are typically issued between July and August.
Q: Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please use the Contact Us form on this website to send all questions pertaining to the Asia SiVon Cottom Scholarship. Thank you!